Jack Splitt's Tragic Death and Bizarre Prosecution of His Marijuana Provider

Jack Splitt’s Tragic Death and Bizarre Prosecution of His Marijuana Provider

In Top Stories by MediReview StaffLeave a Comment

Last year, we told you about the tragic death of Jack Splitt , the fifteen-year-old namesake of Jack’s Law, a landmark bill that allowed young medical marijuana patients in Colorado, like him, to take their cannabis-based medication at school. More than a year later, Mark Pedersen, who made MMJ suppositories that helped alleviate the pain suffered by Splitt as a result of a condition associated with his cerebral palsy, faces five felony pot possession and manufacturing charges in Jefferson County that flowed from the investigation into Jack’s passing, despite the fact that there’s no evidence the medication harmed him in any way. "Even the prosecutors don’t believe it killed him," notes Matthew Buck, Pedersen’s attorney, about the case, which is outlined in a series of documents accessible below. "But there’s been a death, and someone’s going to pay for it." Buck, who spoke to us about marijuana entrepreneur Scott Pack and his indictment in a huge cannabis fraud case this past June, says Splitt died on August 24, 2016, because of an error related to a very different kind of medicine: "Two nurses accidentally overdosed him on phenobarbital. Tragically, they gave it to him twice in too short a period of time. He was given it once by the night nurse, and then the day-shift nurse came on. Because of some miscommunication, the day nurse gave it to him again, and his little body just couldn’t withstand it." A photo of Mark Pedersen from a GoFundMe page to raise funds on behalf of him and associate Ron Niehouse, who’s also been charged in the case. Governor John Hickenlooper signs House Bill 16-1373 , popularly known as Jack’s Law, as Jack Splitt looked on. A family photo of Jack Splitt, lower right, with mom Stacey Linn and brother Cooper, as […]

Leave a Comment