Michigan’s medical marijuana licensing mess isn’t over yet

Michigan’s medical marijuana licensing mess isn’t over yet

In Top Stories by MediReview StaffLeave a Comment

It’s still not over for the business owners and patients caught up in the medical marijuana licensing mess. The next step will be on Friday in Court of Claims Judge Stephen Borello’s courtroom. That’s when the state Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs and the Michigan Medical Marihuana Licensing Board are scheduled to show cause justifying the shutdown of currently open marijuana businesses before Dec. 15. Last week, Borello issued a stay on an Oct. 31 deadline previously set by the MMMLB. Since that date is now a moot point, come Friday it will be five weeks until Dec. 15, so it hardly seems worth setting any deadline before that date — unless the goal is to throw the medical marijuana delivery system into chaos. "It’s a mess," said one business owner I spoke to over the weekend about the situation. Even though this business owner’s location is one of the state’s few licensed provisioning centers, the owner isn’t sure where provisions will be coming from after the 30-day period during which caregiver-derived marijuana can be sold. As it is, I had to sign a form saying I was aware that these cannabis products had not come from the state system — though it wasn’t a big deal since everything that’s been sold for the past decade hasn’t come from the state system. According to information provided by David Harns of LARA, as of last Friday, 64 licenses for medical marijuana had been granted. Among those are 37 provisioning centers, eight processors, three secure transporters, four safety compliance facilities, 11 Class C growers, and one class A grower. It should have dawned on the MMMLB to start licensing growers some months ago. It takes four months to grow a marijuana plant to maturity. And considering that it’s a new […]

Leave a Comment

Michigan’s medical marijuana licensing mess isn’t over yet

Michigan’s medical marijuana licensing mess isn’t over yet

In Top Stories by MediReview StaffLeave a Comment

It’s still not over for the business owners and patients caught up in the medical marijuana licensing mess. The next step will be on Friday in Court of Claims Judge Stephen Borello’s courtroom. That’s when the state Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs and the Michigan Medical Marihuana Licensing Board are scheduled to show cause justifying the shutdown of currently open marijuana businesses before Dec. 15. Last week, Borello issued a stay on an Oct. 31 deadline previously set by the MMMLB. Since that date is now a moot point, come Friday it will be five weeks until Dec. 15, so it hardly seems worth setting any deadline before that date — unless the goal is to throw the medical marijuana delivery system into chaos. "It’s a mess," said one business owner I spoke to over the weekend about the situation. Even though this business owner’s location is one of the state’s few licensed provisioning centers, the owner isn’t sure where provisions will be coming from after the 30-day period during which caregiver-derived marijuana can be sold. As it is, I had to sign a form saying I was aware that these cannabis products had not come from the state system — though it wasn’t a big deal since everything that’s been sold for the past decade hasn’t come from the state system. According to information provided by David Harns of LARA, as of last Friday, 64 licenses for medical marijuana had been granted. Among those are 37 provisioning centers, eight processors, three secure transporters, four safety compliance facilities, 11 Class C growers, and one class A grower. It should have dawned on the MMMLB to start licensing growers some months ago. It takes four months to grow a marijuana plant to maturity. And considering that it’s a new […]

Leave a Comment